This is a facilitated online training course to prepare you to successfully use Canvas either in your online or hybrid course or to supplement your onsite course. Assessments include quizzes, discussions, and hands-on assignments. You will work simultaneously in a Canvas development course to create your own course content. This course also covers laws and regulations for accessibility compliance, Regular and Substantive Interaction (RSI), and reporting Last Date of Attendance (LDA). To successfully complete the course, you will need to submit all assignments, and receive a total score of 80% or more. Estimated time to complete the course is 40 hours.
If you want to be eligible to teach an online or hybrid course, when you have completed the training you will complete a capstone project. The project will include an orientation module and at least one-half of all the instructional content (modules) for an online course. Your course will be reviewed using the Completed Course Checklist.
You can work through the course at your own pace. This is a fully online course. There are no live face-to-face meetings.
By the end of this training you should be able to:
- Import a template
- Create and edit pages, assignments, discussions, and quizzes
- Create Accessible content that includes formatted text, multimedia, links, and files
- Customize assignment settings
- Create robust grading rubrics
- Explain best practices in quiz security
- Explain best practices in designing discussion prompts
- Use the SpeedGrader tool to provide feedback to students
- Use the Canvas video tool to record a video
- Create and upload a screenshot
- Create a well-designed instructional module with accessible content
- Interpret federal, state, and district attendance requirements for no shows and last date of attendance
- Identify attendance reporting tools
- Explain how to provide Regular and Substantive Interaction
- Evaluate instructor-student interactions for Regular and Substantive Interaction
You will submit your Completed Course Checklist for review via email to Sylvia Amito'elau at email@example.com
After you’ve completed the registration form, you will receive a confirmation email. Then allow two business days to receive an email with information about how to access the course.