This is a facilitated online training course to prepare faculty to successfully use Canvas either in their online or hybrid course or to supplement their onsite course. This course also covers laws and regulations for Accessibility (Section 508 and ADA), Regular and Substantive Interaction (RSI), and reporting Last Date of Attendance (LDA). By the end of this training you should be able to:
- Import a course template from Canvas Commons
- Create key elements in a Canvas course, including Modules, Assignments, Discussions, and Quizzes
- Create course content that meets federal and state requirements for Accessibility
- Evaluate instructor-student interactions for compliance with Regular and Substantive Interaction regulations
- Know how to use the various Canvas tools (attendance and tracking) to help determine no shows and Last Date of Attendance (LDA)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different methods and strategies for teaching online, hybrid, or on-site courses
You will be working on your own Canvas course shell to prepare a course to be taught in Canvas. Estimated course workload: 3 - 5 hours per week.
This is a fully online course. There are no live face-to-face meetings. You will go through the training modules and work on course assignments at a time that is convenient for you. However, there are specific deadlines for assignments within the course.
At the end of the training course, there is an additional deadline where you submit the Completed Course Checklist to request your course be reviewed and approved for use in Canvas.